Radiator Temperatures/TR4 Original Metal Fan 30^ AM

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Radiator Temperatures/TR4 Original Metal Fan 30^ AM
From: "Sherman D. Taffel" <staffel@home.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 00:32:07 -0400
Technical Thriumphants:

With recent discussion of the of Electric vs Original Metal Fan
Conversion, and for curiousity, I made the following measurements with a
digital thermometer the other morning. I let the engine warm up as much
as it would at 1600RPM on the Tach. Radiator coolant temperatures were
taken by sticking the probe into the coolant via the Radiator cap
orifice (Not a long neck TR4 Radiator)

OAT 28^
Cardboard in front of entire radiator
Coolant temperature 183^
Temperature Gauge needle pointing to the bottom line of the inverted U
left of 70^C center marking  /70) . I think that's suppose to be 65^ Centigrade.

OAT 32^
CARDBOARD COMPLETELY REMOVED (FAN PULLING AIR THROUGH RADIATOR)
Coolant Temperature cycled between 168.4^ and 174.8^
Temperature Gauge pointing two needles below the inverted U of the 70^ C
center marking    /  ( 70 ). Maybe at 60^C/ 160^ F

My deduction was the thermostat was cycling, i.e.: opening and closing,
maybe its a 170^ thermostat, or by the gauge, a 160^ thermostat.

70^ C should equal 158^ and 183^F should = 84.5 C

Possibility One:  my gauge is accurate and that corresponds to the
recycling of a 160^ thermostat,

Possibility Two: My gauge is either reading low, or the coolant at the
top of the radiator is 'hotter' than at the sending unit (as unlikely as
that seems).

 I found all this  'interesting' anyway and thought I'd share.
In any event, 183^ with the cardboard totally blocking the radiator
proves that the metal fan is certainly not needed at idle in the winter.
The 'sucking' metal fan means the radiator can not raditate to the front
at idle, only 'heat rising' (ahah-maybe that's why the coolant temp is
hotter than the gauge 'shows')

Steve in Denver, and Greg in Chicago: I'd be interested in what you get
in a similar test with fan (Steve) and no fan (electric Greg); if your
so inclined to 'play'! Its suppose to get to 60^ Friday, I'll see what I
get then in both 'test conditions, and report back.

BTW, I took Camellia for a 'snack ride' and the car did get cozy, it was
26^ that evening, and I used the cardboard. The temp gauge never touched
the '65^ bottom line when we were traveling (mostly at 45-50MPH) and
engine vibration (from fan)at 3800-4500 when shifting..

Would welcome any comments- Gotta have some fun here!

Sherman
Original Metal Fan TR4
MD