RE: tr-3 off the frame

To: "'Gary Nafziger'" <naffy@netins.net>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tr-3 off the frame
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 13:31:29 -0500
Gary Wrote:
I am now looking at all the pieces I need to cut out and want some advice on
cutting tools........air nibbler??  metal blade in sabre saw?? air cut off
tool??  What works good to cut rust spots out leaving a nice clean edge that
one can cut replacement panels to fit.??

I have a small air cut off tool that so far has been worthless.......just
will not cut fast at all........am very unhappy with it......maybe too
small??  its a little odd wal mart brand....

thanks!!
                Gary, Frances Nafziger
                Box 25

Gary-
        Big cuts-   Milwaukee Sawzall or equiv.
        Smaller cuts-   Sabre saw with metal blade
        Trimming holes-  left and right turn Wiss metalmaster snips
        Big problems-  4-5 inch abrasive wheel grinder ( e.g.. Milwaukee,
bosch, Makita)
        Really big problems-  " the Red Wrench " ( cutting torch )

        When using a sawzall, it is a good idea to stop cutting about every
30 seconds to make sure         that enthusiasm has not overtaken your
common sense.  It is easy to get carried away, and      you can do an awful
lot of damage in just a few minutes.   Always keep the blades oiled, it
is ok if the blade smokes a bit,  just don't force things and really
overheat the blade.
        I have several nibblers- air and hand powered, which work OK if the
metal is clean- i.e.    unpainted/non-undercoated.  They tend to slip and
clog when used on many auto body tasks.         The cut-off tool you are
using may yet prove to be useful for parts of the job.  It is just      not
the ONLY weapon in the rust busting arsenal..
        Good luck
        Bob Westerdale
        59 3A TS36967