Re: solid state ingnition system.

To: david orcutt <dorcutt@total.net>
Subject: Re: solid state ingnition system.
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 18:34:29 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
david orcutt wrote:

> What has been the experience out there with installing either the Crane
> solid state ignition system or the solid state ignitor system.  Am looking
> for one or the other and not sure which one to try.  Let me know.

I have one of each and here's my comparison: (Scale of 10, based on my
experience)

Issue                     Pertronix           Crane

Ease of installation         10                 6

Effectiveness                10                10

Reliability                  10                10

Performance                   8                10

Cost                         10                 8

Looks                         8                10
                         --------------------------
Total points                 56                54

As you see, the Pertronix beats out the Crane by only 2 points.  However the
Pertronix is not really an electronic ignition in the true
meaning of the term.  I found out from MSD ignitions that the Pertronix is
simply a replacement for contact points, using a magnetic
switch that is actuated when one of the permanent magnets comes in close
proximity to the small box that fits into the distributor.
Otherwise, it doesn't really do much to enhance the performance.  It does give
a great measure of reliability, though.

The Crane, on the other hand is a true electronic ignition with an optical
trigger.  It's that trigger mechanism that makes it a bit
trickier to install.  The emitter and sensor have to be in perfect alignment
and must be set precisely with the engine's timing marks.

I coupled the Pertronix unit to a MSD capacitive discharge system on the Tiny
Tim race Spit and the combination works great together.

Regards,
Joe