Re: solid state ingnition system.

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: solid state ingnition system.
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 21:59:15 -0500
Cc: david orcutt <dorcutt@total.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Joe Curry wrote:
> I have one of each and here's my comparison: (Scale of 10, based on my
>experience)
>
> Issue                     Pertronix           Crane
>                          --------------------------
> Total points                 56                54

  I was the biggest pertronix supporter, until mine
died. This seems to be a little too common.

  I replaced my Pertronix with a Crane I had in a box
on the shelf, and have been happy since.

> However the Pertronix is not really an electronic ignition in the true
> meaning of the term.  I found out from MSD ignitions that the Pertronix
> is simply a replacement for contact points, using a magnetic
> switch that is actuated when one of the permanent magnets comes
> in close proximity to the small box that fits into the distributor.

  That's simply not true. It's a hall effect sensor
that is activated when that magnet goes by, but it's not just
a switch.

  Considering MSD and Pertronix are competitors, it doesn't
surprise me that the misinformation would come from there.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca