RE: solid state ingnition system.

Subject: RE: solid state ingnition system.
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:56:45 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Patrick :

IMO, unless your engine is highly modified, the MSD 6 will not improve
performance enough to be worth the added expense (and unreliability).

Installation is pretty easy (although not as easy as the Crane), basically
secure the box and hook up 6 or 7 wires (battery + & -, coil + & -, trigger,
ignition switch).  You may need to add a diode (supplied) into the charging
circuit.  If you have a 'tractor engine' TR, you will also need to modify
the distributor cap, as the center button will not handle the current from
the MSD 6.

List price for the MSD 6A is $400, street price seems to be around $170-200.
There are other variants, like the 6AL Joe mentioned, which add slightly to
the price.

Any 'speed shop' should have them.

Note : I have purchased a MSD 5 (NLS) and two MSD 6As over the last 15
years.  All three have failed once, one of the 6As failed a second time.
MSD refused to repair the unit that failed the second time "it's too old".
However, I was unaware of the restriction about helically-wound wires, so
perhaps that was part of my problem.

Randall