crankshaft "overlap" defined

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: crankshaft "overlap" defined
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 09:45:44 -0800
Ok, I think I've got it.

If you look at a drawing of the crank from the end, showing only the circles
for the main bearing journals and the circles for the rod bearing journals,
'overlap' is how much the circles overlap.  The more they overlap, the more
rigid the crank will be (other things being equal).

You can calculate the overlap, it's 1/2 times ((main journal diameter) plus
(rod journal diameter) minus stroke).  Obviously, this number can be
negative on cranks that have no overlap.

http://www.callies.com/angalite.html is the best diagram I could find on the
web.

Randall