Re: frame off and welders

To: naffy@netins.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: frame off and welders
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 20:04:01 EST
In a message dated 2/8/2001 11:47:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
naffy@netins.net writes:

> Which is considered best?? TIG or MIG?? Whats the differance?  I do think I
> want a gas wire welder rather than gasless.  would love to only spend around
> $200.

Gary,

TIG is best, but it takes a lot of skill to do right. Mig is the easiest, and
can be mastered with a little practice. Be very careful with MIG, though, as
it can be very deceiving - it is so easy to lay down a "pretty" bead with no
penetration at all.

I would recommend getting a gas unit. I haven't used the gasless kind, but I
have heard from others that it is a bit of a bother.

The biggest problem with the cheaper MIG units is the feed mechanism. Other
than that, even a MIG welder is really nothing more than a big transformer.
If the feed mechanism doesn't feed smoothly and consistantly, you will wind
up tossing it through the garage window out of sheer frustration!

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm