RE: Save our hobby revisited (USA centric, long)

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Save our hobby revisited (USA centric, long)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:32:32 -0800
Rick :

I commend the spirit of your post.  Everyone (not just those in CA) should
monitor their federal, state and local governments (or whatever their
equivalent structure) for 'hostile' legislation, and be heard about anything
they don't want passed.  One good source of such information in the USA is
the SEMA legislation page at
http://www.sema.org/consumer/fedleg/

However, before writing your representative, it's best to have your facts
straight, and to include details.  In this case, I believe you are referring
to Senate Bill 1811, which started as a pro-hobbyist bill, got amended to an
anti-hobbyist bill (mostly through pressure from the CARB, but the actual
amendment was written by Senator Karnette), got amended back to a
pro-hobbyist bill, and was ultimately vetoed by Gray Davis last September.
Legislation can only be introduced to the legislature by a member of the
legislature (in this case Senator Maurice Johannessen), not by CARB.

So, it's unlikely that Assemblyman Papan made any sense at all of John's
letter.

IMO a much more effective structure for such a letter is :
"I understand SB xxxx will be coming up for general discussion and a vote
soon.  I urge you to vote No on this bill, for the following reasons : ..."

Since many of our representatives do not read their own mail, but have
subordinates summarize it for them, this ensures that your rep receives your
message.  Of course, it's now up to you to be sure your facts are right.
Urging him to vote No on a bill that has already passed is pretty useless,
and likely to get your name added to the 'crackpots' list ...

Randall