Re: TR6 Brake Master Cylinder Problem

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Daniel Julien" <dgjulien@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Brake Master Cylinder Problem
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@home.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 21:08:43 -0700
Dan,

If I understand the brake problem you're having (and I'm a little sketchy on
what you mean by "the Mity-Vac will suck fluid out of the bleed screw, but
stepping on the brake does nothing") my guess is that the PDWA may be
off-centered.

If your brake failure light on your dash works, is the light on your REALLY
bright, as in WAY brighter than normal?  That would be an additional symptom
of a PDWA off-centered.

Pull the yellow/black wire off the top of the PDWA and
remove the switch (cap) it was attached to (nothing will leak out..trust
me).   Shine a real bright torch (my UK term for the day) on the inside of
the PDWA and you'll see a little brass cylinder with a notch.  That notch
has to be centered so that the pin on the bottom of the switch doesn't touch
the cylinder.  A pressure difference between the front and rear brakes
pushes this brass cylinder off-center, grounding the warning circuit through
by touching the brass pin, that's how it works to tell you that you just
lost either your front or rear brakes.  Bleeding your brakes can also get it
off-centered.

Take a sharp pointed something to move it.  Shouldn't take much.  The light
should go out (if it was on and/or works) and your brakes should even be
better (mine were).   My guess would be that the cylinder is pushed back
towards the lines to the back brakes...so move it towards the lines on the
PDWA that go to the front brakes.  I'd bet that you blead your front brakes
first after your MC rebuild and pushed the cylinder back so that when you
blead the rear brakes there was pressure on the cylinder (from the front
brake lines) and it couldn't get pushed back to center.  I'd go out to look
at my 6 and be more specific but it's too darn cold tonight.

I hope this makes sense. It should make more sense once you actually look at
the inside of the PDWA. You shouldn't have to remove the PDWA in order to
center the cylinder.  And you won't hurt anything by checking to see if it's
centered even if it doesn't solve your problem...and this is an easy
solution so it's worth a shot.  It's certainly easier than going through
your MC again.

Good Luck

Bud Rolofson

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]