TR6 "A" Type OD questions

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 "A" Type OD questions
From: Dennis Lambert <DLambert@anaheim.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:24:24 -0800
Hi,

Well, I've got the trans and OD completely disassembled now (thanks Brian),
and have a couple of OD questions - first in a series of many, I'm sure.

1) My OD clutch doesn't look like the one in the picture in the Moss TR250/6
catalogue (ref. #73, page 86).  Instead, it looks exactly like the one for
the "J" type pictured on the next page (ref. #70, page 87).  The trans and
OD are from a "71 to '72 TR6, OD serial #1985, definitely an "A" type.
Certainly these clutches aren't interchangeable, are they?  Prior to
teardown the OD did engage when spun with a drill motor.

2) Now, a more general question about when to replace bearings: The easy
(and most expensive) answer would be to simply replace everything.  All the
bearings sound and feel "good"; Is there a way to definitively check these
bearings for wear?  I've got replacement bearings on the way for all except
the large thrust ring bearing (ref. #71, page 86).  Is this bearing any more
or less prone to failure than other bearings in the OD?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Tackling an OD rebuild is a pretty scary
undertaking to a not-an-ace mechanic; I couldn't have gotten this far
without the help from all on the list.

Thanks, Dennis