RE: TR6 "A" Type OD questions

To: Dennis Lambert <DLambert@anaheim.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 "A" Type OD questions
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:39:41 -0500
Dennis, you measure the sun gear end float pretty much the way the manual
states, but
when you measure the gap between the case halves, one area measured 30 thou and
the opposite side
measured 50 thou!  I found it impossible to get the case halves to sit square
enough to measure accurately.
The brake ring seemed to be the culprit mostly.

So, what I did was use 2 sets of feeler gauges, and started with about 60 thou
of feelers (I had to use
3 gauges stacked up).  I placed them on opposite sides of the case and used a
nut on the nearby stud to
tighten the case down until the feeler on each side was snug.  I then checked
the gap all around and checked for
the same gap.  I then inserted the mainshaft and twisted it feeling for binding
of the sun gear.  I did not
have the clutch or  thrust ring installed for this, just the annulus already in
the tail case half, and the planetary
gear and the sun gear.  I then reduced the feeler gauge thickness by one size
(3 thou when using a stack of 3),
and retested.  I finally got to the point where the sun gear had a hint of
binding, and 3 thou up had no bind.

I ended up needing the thickest adjusting washer available (0.114).

I used the old thrust washer next to the adjusting washer as the added spacer
washer for measuring.  I refaced
the  old thrust washer so it was perfectly flat before using it for testing.

After I installed the "correct" adjusting washer, I assembled the case halves
but left out the clutch and thrust ring.
This way I could get my fingers on the sun gear after the case was bolted up
and feel it for end float
manually.  It is impossible to get an accurate measurement of float this way,
but I could feel
1) there was SOME end float, it was not binding.
2) there was just palpable fore/aft sliding of the sun gear, I find that sub-5
thou floats impalpable
3) the float was not at all sloppy, so by my fingers I'd call it definitely
less than 50 thou and probably
    less than 30 thou.  That is the best my fingers will do.  I am positive
that an experienced machinist can feel floats
    to within a few thou accuracy.

After I "verified" the float, I then did the final assembly.  I used that red
spray-on gasket sealer on the
faces of the brake ring to enhance the seal.  Just a light coat.  I forget the
name of the red stuff, but if you need it,
I can look it up in my basement.  Protect the clutch face of the brake ring
from contamination!

Simple easy and satisfying.  Oh, one thing Brian did, and I was in too much of
a hurry to think of, measure the
thickensses of the new thrust washers and the old ones.  You probably will have
to reface the old ones, because
the rotating surfaces do not cut into the entire face, so there is a ridge left
and this will make the thickness appear
greater.  As I said, I estimated my sun gear float at 60 thou with the old
washers!

I never did measure the annulus float.  I just reassembled it figuring that it
really OUGHT not to have changed, as
it is not really something prone to wear.  Plus the OD was working FINE prior
to rebuild even with the sun gear float
WAY off spec.

I hope I did the right thing keeping the thrust ring bearing. All the other big
bearings in the trans and OD were
bad or absolute TOAST.  But this bearing seemed OK.  As far as I can tell, it
only gets loaded and turned momentarily
as the clutch engages and disengages.  Is this correct?  I suppose it is
possible that it is loaded and turning
the entire time the OD is disengaged.....  If so, it might be wisest to replace
it since it takes  a fair load
(all the springs?)  and if it is turning the whole time the OD is disengaged,
that might wear out
a marginal bearing pretty quickly.  I just do not know how much it turns when
it is loaded.

When you look at the disassembled OD, can you tell how this bearing is loaded
and turned?

-Tony

Message text written by Dennis Lambert
>Yes, measuring end sun gear end float seems easy enough the way the manual
describes it, assuming the case halves are perfect.  I hadn't thought about
the two case halves being out of square.  Yeah, how do you do that?  The
manual says to use an extra adjustment washer - what did you use?<