Whining TR3A tranny

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Whining TR3A tranny
From: Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:14:52 -0500 jwimkrs1.na.jci.com/NA/Johnson_Controls(Release 5.0.4 |June 8, 2000) at 02/14/2001 12:34:43 PM
The transmission in my recently restored '60 TR3A has a loud whine in first
gear, and whines a little in reverse. The previous owner told me it was the
same way before he parked the car 15 years earlier (wish I had known this
BEFORE I restored the car!). It is also near impossible to get the car into
first gear without stopping the car completely (I realize that first and
reverse gears are non-synchro). I've drained the old transmission oil,
flushed out the inside, and put in fresh 75W90 gear oil at the correct
level. What is the probable cause of the whining and how tough is it to
fix? Is it a thrust washer or something like that? Does the tranny have to
be removed from the car for the repair?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff W.
'60 TR3A