RE: Whining TR3A tranny

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Whining TR3A tranny
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:12:19 -0800
Jeff :

Some whining in 1st gear is normal (due to straight-cut gears), but it
should be about the same as reverse.  If it's much louder, you probably have
either damage to the faces of the gear teeth, or failure of the layshaft
and/or it's bearings.  The tranny will have to come out to repair either of
these (and so will your wallet !).

It's also normal to have to stop the car (or double-clutch, if you know how)
to shift into a non-synchro gear.  If you have excessive difficulty (eg it
sometimes won't go into gear even with the car stopped completely), then
likely the leading edge of the gear teeth is worn down from the original
point to a gentle curve (or even flat).

Unless you're worried about the concours judge crawling underneath the car,
my suggestion would be to drive the 3-synchro box, while looking for a
4-synchro replacement (like your 58).  Parts are harder to find (more
expensive) for the early boxes, in some cases NLS, and the 4-synchro is just
a better box.  If you exchange the shift lever and don't park it in 1st
gear, no one will ever know without either driving the car, or crawling
underneath.

Randall
59 TR3A - on the waiting list for a 4-synchro OD tranny