RE: TR4A tranny

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4A tranny
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 16:07:39 -0500
>===== Original Message From "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com> =====
>Listers, I'm about to install the 4 syncro 4-A tranny in my 59 T/R 3-A, my
>question how many use the 4-A shift lever , the Moss U/K parts book says to
>watch your knuckles, can I still use my T/R 3 and keep apperances of the "3"
>rather than the curved "4A", or it wiser to use the 4-A.  Many Thanks  "FT"

Fred,

The shifters are interchangeable.  I am switching my TR4A handle to a TR4
handle this weekend when the gearbox with OD go back in the car.   A PO had
used a TR4A (66xxx) donor gearbox in my car with out changing the shifter and
the knob is too close to the controls in 1st.

Triumph did add an "anti-rattle" thingy on the end of the TR4 and TR4A
shifters that you may want to retro by drilling the "3" shifter and moving the
spring and steel ball.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com