Re: Introduction (off-side/near-side)

To: dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk, DANMAS@aol.com, OC@46thfoot.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Introduction (off-side/near-side)
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:21:31 EST
In a message dated 2/17/2001 4:47:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk writes:

> Why not just use the terminology Right hand and Left hand. It is the same
> both sides of the Atlantic.

Adrian,

Agreed, but not everyone goes along with this approach - many (most) British
car magazines do use the off-side/near-side terminology. Translation is in
order for us Yanks!

> Just in case there is still confusion. The Right/Lefthand viewpoint is taken
> .

True usually, but not always. If in doubt, we should define our viewpoint.
Most professional publications use the driver's perspective as a reference,
but many of us are not professionals, and many of us are newcomers to the
hobby and don't know the standards.

As they say - Yanks and Brits: two peoples separated by a common language!

Dan Masters
Alcoa, Tennessee

Triumph TR 250 - TR6 Electrical Maintenance Handbook:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas6/
Stuffing a V8 into a small British sports car:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas/
British V8 Newsletter:
     http://members.aol.com/danmas4/mgv8.htm