Re: Introduction (off-side/near-side)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Introduction (off-side/near-side)
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 07:02:55 +0000
In article <39.10c33768.27c045d8@aol.com>, DANMAS@aol.com writes
>    In a message dated 2/17/2001 3:40:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>    OC@46thFoot.com writes:
>
>>       Off-
>>       side=left-hand-side as it comes towards you; Near-side=the other
>>       one...)
>
>    Michael,
>
>    As it was explained to me by an Englishman, "Off-side" is the side
>    of the car
>    farthest from the curb when the car is parked.

Quite right - although we would call it "the kerb". :-)

> This would always be
>    the
>    drivers side, which would be the "left hand side of the car as it
>    comes
>    towards you" if you live in a country where they drive on the "left
>    side" of
>    the road, but in America, it would be the right side.

(Unless you were driving a left-hand-drive car in the UK, or a right-
hand-drive car in the States...)

Hence my need to explain my terms.   I started off with the definition
"driver's side" before realising that that would be equally misleading!

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"