Valve Seat Recession - TR 4 cyl Engine

To: "Triumph Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve Seat Recession - TR 4 cyl Engine
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:15:23 -0800
Hi Everyone,

I am digging into the engine in my TR4A. We put the car away about 3 years
ago and I am now motivated to get the car back on the road!

The main issue was a fairly heavy knocking sound from the front of the
engine. I can hear this sound while spinning the engine on the starter
(spark plugs out).

I removed the rocker shaft and the noise disappears. I laid a straight edge
down on the top of the valve stems and found that #1 and #2 exhaust valve
stems sit much higher than the rest of the valve stems. Visually, as much as
1/16 of an inch or more than any of the other valves - intake or exhaust.

Questions:

Should all the valve stems be even in a perfect mechanical world?

Does this condition indicate valve seat recession or valve damage?

Would this condition cause the knocking sound?

If the answers to all these questions are 'Yes' then a head rebuild is in
store. Any recommendation on valve guide and valve materials?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can provide!

Brad
65 TR4A
62 TR4