Re: Valve Seat Recession - TR 4 cyl Engine

To: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>, "Triumph Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Seat Recession - TR 4 cyl Engine
From: "Adrian Dix-Dyer" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 02:10:19 -0000
Brad,

Valve seat regression is something quite new for us here in UK. Although
unleaded has been available here for ten years or more leaded was also
available.
Now 'the powers that be' have banned the sale (well almost) of leaded so we
have a potential problem. Or is there? I have read up on the subject and
found mixed reports on the VSR subject and the use of unleaded. It would
appear that the additives in unleaded are more dangerous that leaded ever
was and VSR does not affect all engines.

I doubt that your problem is VSR after being laid up, assuming it was
running OK when last run. However if it helps TRShop in London is selling
stainless exhaust valves at six pounds each (9 bucks ((this price given to
me six days ago))). Add to this the hardened valve seats and machining work
and I think it should not cost more than 200 bucks.

Regards
Adrian