Re: Introduction

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Introduction
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 07:10:30 +0000
>From: "Michael Hargreave Mawson" <OC@46thFoot.com>

>> Firstly, is it possible to adjust the fit of the bit of bodywork that
>> the front bumper fits onto?   (I'd call it a valance, but what do I
>> know?)   I can't find any reference to this in the Haynes manual (not
>> even the proper name for it), and the one on my Spit is definitely lop-
>> sided - jammed up against the bonnet on the off-side, and an inch-and-a-
>> half or more away on the near-side.   The bonnet is fitted correctly in
>> relation to the rest of the car.
>>
>The front valance on each side of the front are adjustable by the two angle
>brackets that attach it to the frame. These are visable when the bonnet is
>raised. The brackets have slots which enable movement when loosened. It
>sounds to me that you have a bent(crunched down) tube thingie which attaches
>the bonnet to the frame given the distance that you are off.

Many thanks for the explanation.   I shall have a look to see if I can
see whether the tube thingy is bent once the sun comes up.   I hadn't
thought that I was too far off, given that the standard gap between the
bonnet and the valance seems to be getting on for an inch.   Will report
back in due course.

>> Secondly, the off-side of the car is a good inch or two lower than the
>> near-side, which gives the car a very weird appearance when cornering
>> the wrong way (not to mention when parked).   What could have caused
>> this?   How do I fix it?   Apparently the car has been like this for at
>> least the last seven years...
>>
>Probably some type of suspension failure. Rear spring, shocks,etc.

That's what I feared.   The good news, I suppose, is that once I have it
fixed, the ride should improve...

Thanks again for your help.

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"