Valve Seat Recession - More questions

To: "Triumph Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve Seat Recession - More questions
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:15:56 -0800
Allright gang...
I removed the head and found the #1 and #2 exhaust valves significantly
receded into the valve seat. I last rebuilt this head in 1985 when leaded
gasoline was still plentiful. Leaded gas is pretty hard to find in
California these days! The amazing thing to find the cylinder bores with
almost no wear after 30-40,000 miles. Castrol Syntec!
More questions:

I have one recommendation to replace the seat in the exhaust area only as
there is little room to do both intake and exhaust. Agree - disagree?

Any experience with either Stainless steel valves or the (gulp!) $22.95
each, Moss Stellite valve? Any recommendations one over the other?

Any difference in quality between The Roadster Factory bronze guides and the
nearly twice as expensive Moss manganese-bronze guides?

Fit modern silicone guide seals? Yes - No? Any alternatives or no seal at
all?

Valve springs - replace as a matter of course or have the machine shop test
them?

Thanks again for the help and for those who previously responded!

Brad Eells
65 TR4A (with bad exhaust valves)