Re: Valve Seat Recession - More questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valve Seat Recession - More questions
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:45:19 +0000
In article <f3.79ead28.27c27415@aol.com>, ZinkZ10C@aol.com writes

>Stellite is a very common valve material and probably the best choice.

ObNitPick:   Stellite is the proprietary name of an ultra-hard coating;
it is not the material of which the valves themselves are made.   The
valve material is usually a high-tensile steel, the working face of
which is then stellited for wear-resistance.   The optimum choice of
steel will be determined by the operating speeds/temperatures, and the
longitudinal, lateral and torsional stresses predicted.

(I may not know much about cars, but I spent five years buying key
components for a Medium-Speed Diesel Engine manufacturer...)

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"