TR3 Stator Tube question and steering box question

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Stator Tube question and steering box question
From: "Allen, Warren" <Warren.Allen@infores.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:38:53 -0600
Listerati:

My stator tube (the metal tube that goes down the length of the steering
column, and carries the horn and turn signal wires from the steering wheel
hub out the bottom of the steering box) is bad.  I have a lead on a
replacement, but the replacement is from a car with an adjustable steering
wheel, and mine is non-adjustable.  It is my understanding that the only
difference is that the stator tube for an adjustable wheel has a longer slot
where the hub fits in, and that a tube for an adjustable wheel will
"probably" work for my non-adjustable.  Anybody been there, done that?  Will
it work?

Next question: The front steering box cover has some shims to assure correct
shaft float.  Where does the gasket go?  Between steering box and first
shim, or between last shim and cover?  And why doesn't it leak in those
places between shims, or between shim and box/cover (whichever one doesn't
have the gasket)?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Warren Allen
Winston-Salem, NC