TR Gearshift Handles

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR Gearshift Handles
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 08:27:54 -0500
Listers,

I have a question for the experts out there.  I have a TR4A
gearbox (6x,xxx) in my '62 TR4 from a prior restoration of who
knows how many years ago.  The gearshift handle seems long and
1st gear bangs my knuckles into the headlamp switch if I am not
careful. The TR4A switch plinth is recessed more flush with dash.
I now have 3 gearshift handles in my stash and would like some
help on sorting out where they came from.

The first is the TR4A type in the car.  It has a 65 degree bend
at its base and is about 6 1/4" long from the bend to tip of the
threads.  The second is still attached to a backup gearbox from a
22,xxx TR4 and it is similar to the TR4A one except the bend
angle is 45 degrees... the length is the same.   This moves the
shift knob back about 2" and would make shifting more comfortable
without interference.

The third is the mystery. I found it among some parts I bought
last year imbedded in the broken off end of a gearbox top cover.
The steel sheetmetal cap had it captured in the aluminum casting
with the galvanic glue of a couple of decades. There was no
getting the steel sheetmetal cap to move.  I had to drill out the
aluminum casting with 20 or so holes and then saw, chisel and
pound to free it.  It is like the 2nd TR4 one in that is has the
45 degree bend but the length is 4 3/4"... about 1 1/2 shorter.

I am told that the TR3 shift handles were all straight.  So where
did this shorter version come from.  I think it might be more
desirable than the 2nd TR4 one because of the shorter throw that
would result. Any opinions?

I would also like some advice for freeing this steel/aluminum
bond that happens on a old gearbox left out in the weather.  The
2nd TR4 handle is now trapped this way in a perfectly good top
cover. Seems like you have to destroy the steel cap or the top
cover.  I have been soaking it in PB Blaster for a while but it
is hard to get the solvent into the seam and then pretty
difficult to get any place to start prying without chewing
something up.

TIA

Brian Sanborn
'62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com