RE: TR Gearshift Handles

To: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR Gearshift Handles
From: "Brad Eells" <bradlnss@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 12:14:46 -0800
Brian,

I checked  my TR4 and TR4A parts books and the part numbers are different.
The TR4 'Change Speed Lever Assembly' part # is 131507.  TR4A part # is
143624.

This would seem to support the different angle theory. I have to shift
carefully into 1st and 3rd in the TR4A. I have seen handles cut down and
rethreaded. I have an early (CT4224) TR4 gear box and the handle angle
appears about the same - the handle could have been easily changed along the
way, however. I have a TR3 handle that is straight as well.

Hope this helps!

Brad
62 TR4
65 TR4A

<<The first is the TR4A type in the car.  It has a 65 degree bend
at its base and is about 6 1/4" long from the bend to tip of the
threads.  The second is still attached to a backup gearbox from a
22,xxx TR4 and it is similar to the TR4A one except the bend
angle is 45 degrees... the length is the same.   This moves the
shift knob back about 2" and would make shifting more comfortable
without interference.>>