TR6: Achy Leaky Booster

To: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Subject: TR6: Achy Leaky Booster
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:33:15 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Martin Secrest"
>The brake booster on my '72 TR6 is leaking.  Of course, it's ruining paint
inside the engine bay.  (This is why I hate DOT 4 in these cars, and will
change it out to DOT 5 now ...)

The leak is slow but sure, and appears at the bottom of the servo unit.
Question is, do I need a rebuild, or a new booster, and how do I tell the
difference.  (There is, by the way, no noticeable drop in performance of
the
unit.)
<

Martin,

It isn't the booster that is leaking fluid.  There should be no fluid in
the booster.  The fluid is coming from the brake master cylinder and if you
don't fix it soon it will cause the booster to fail (ask me how I know).
You can buy a kit and put it in but chances are that the cylinder is pitted
and needs to be honed.  You can try this yourself or you can ship it off
and have it resleeved at one of the rebuilders (eg: Apple Hydraulics) for
about $150 or you can buy a new cylinder for about $200.  Or you can buy a
kit for about $40 and rebuild it yourself.  It should last a few more years
that way.  But do something quick or you'll be looking for another booster
as well (and they ain't cheap).

Dave Massey
71 TR6 (new used booster and brand new cylinder 4 years ago)