Re: 1976 TR6 - Headers - HELP

To: "Dennis N Culligan" <dncullig@us.ibm.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1976 TR6 - Headers - HELP
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 15:46:50 -0600
At 04:29 PM 12/13/01 -0500, Dennis N Culligan wrote:

>List -
>       I'm sure there's folks out there who have put headers on their late-
>model TR6s (mine's a 1976).  My mechanic ordered a set from BPNW
>that we were told "fit very well", yet upon installation, it appears that
>the flange that bolts to the motor is angled wrong.  It's so far off that the
>bot-tom bolts aren't tight at all and yet the inside 2 pipes are already
>wedged
>tightly against the oil pan.  If we just had to dimple the pipes to make it
>fit, we would, but both of those inside pipes would have to be hammered in
>1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to clear the top lip on the pan..

Dennis,

For way too many years, I struggled with a cheap Pacesetter header on my 74
TR6. When I first got it, it fit poorly and required several hours of
grinding to get it to fit. I was told that "they are all like that". It was
very difficult to get a good, tight fit along the head due to so little
clearance around the studs. Twice, I took it off and had the flange
surfaced, as it had warped and I had major exhaust leaks.

In 1997, I bought the ss header from TRF. The fit was awesome. It went
straight on, and has been there since, with not even a whiff of a leak. In
addition, the tubes are significantly larger in diameter, the bends in the
pipes are smoother, the welds are superior, and I was able to get it good
and tight against the cylinder head. Yes, it is expensive, but 4 years
later, I still call myself a jerk for leaving that Pacesetter POS on the
car for so long.

NFI

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U