Re: Storing TR3 battery over winter

To: "Nancy and Bob Wise" <wises@new.rr.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Storing TR3 battery over winter
From: "elliottd" <elliottd@look.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 14:20:29 -0500
I always take the battery out of my TR, even though I keep the car in a warm
garage.  It is more accessible on the bench than in the car to add any
distilled water it may need during the winter.  In your case, the battery
acid at minus 40 (if it should go that low) changes in its specific gravity
to almost that of water and the acid may freeze, causing the battery case to
crack and spill its contents all over your battery box and elsewhere.

Take the battery in the house but don't put it on the concrete floor.  Why,
I don't know.  It might be an old wife's tale.  Put it on a wooden bench or
at least on a wooden 2 by 6 to keep it off the basement floor.

I've also heard that it is wise to leave the trickle charger on for say a
week, then disconnect it for about 6 weeks.  Before re-connecting it again,
connect a headlamp to the battery to drain it down before removing the lamp
and re-connecting the trickle charger for a week.  A hydrometer will tell
you when it is fully recharged again.  Repeating this through the winter is
easier if the battery is in the house.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A
Montreal, Canada