Resoration & Questions Begin-#1

To: six pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Resoration & Questions Begin-#1
From: bob <rmf3860@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 11:23:07 -0400

I have pulled the engine and transmission. I intend to sand/strip/blast
and paint the engine bay and do whatever the engine/trans need before
they are refitted. It was not my intention to automatically tear down
the engine and rebuild it. I will post issues and questions as they
arise and ask for your collective comments, wisdom and help. In the
process, I would like to help anyone planning to do the same who may
benefit from what I'm currently undertaking.

For background information, the car ran perfectly and didn't present
symptoms or obvious evidence of any potential problems. Compression
checks were closely within the 145 range. No cooling problems. No
clutch/trans problems.

1. When I removed the drain plug from the side of the block, I literally
had to use a screwdriver to "grind" through the black crud in the hole
before the coolant started to flow. Is this indicative of possible
blockage that may exist in other passages in the block?

2. I measured the crankshaft play with a dial indicator and it showed
.010. Should I strive for the lowest end of the normal range (.006-.008)
or right in the middle when buying an oversize thrust bearing?

3. The clutch disk and pressure plate looked new. What little wear there
was on the disk, however, seemed concentrated on the outer edges, rather
than evenly throughout the disk surface; is this normal? The cover was a
B&B brand (blue dot I think). The flywheel was very smooth and still
showed evidence of it's last resurfacing. A piece of the throwout
bearing's flange had obviously broken off. Otherwise, it spun freely.
Any clues to why/how it broke? What brand of throwout bearing should I
buy and should it be matched with a particular brand of pressure
plate/cover?

That's all for now. Hope the questions aren't too long. Thanks for any
information you can give me.

Bob Fabie
'75 TR6

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
rmf3860.vcf]