RE: Ignition timing problem

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ignition timing problem
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:25:18 -0800
Otto cycle engines are quite a bit different in this regard than Diesel
cycle, starting "ether" won't harm them as long as you don't try to put a
load on them.  When applied to a diesel, the "ether" (actually it's usually
a mixture of light naphtha and mineral oil) ignites before the piston
reaches TDC, which causes the extreme bearing load.  For a lower compression
car engine, it waits for the spark and then burns reasonably normally.  I
use it frequently on recalcitrant engines.

Someone else mentioned WD40, but I believe there are different formulations
of WD40 around, some are flammable, some are less so.  The flammable ones
use propane as a propellant, the others use nitrogen or some such.  I
haven't tried it, but it seems to me the oil would not be good for partially
fouled plugs (which are a frequent cause of hard starting on older engines).

Randall