Re: Ignition timing problem

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition timing problem
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 19:50:47 -0000
Hi Alan
What Bob suggests is a good principle but if by starting fluid he means
ether (cold start as commonly used on reluctant diesels) I would not use
this as it beats diesel engine bearings to death and they are in general
stronger than petrol engines.
A method I have used is to put some (an egg cup full) of petrol into a
trigger bottle, the type that kitchen and bathroom cleaners come in. (Flash,
Jif, Mr Muscle) Then use that to "inject" a mist of petrol into the carb(s)
this will work on anything from a 1cyl mower to a multi cylinder car engine.
I guess there is a slight risk of a backfire causing a problem but I have
never had any trouble with this technique, and it is a lot more gentle than
ether!

Graham.