Re: Tickets from police

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tickets from police
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 22:04:45 +0000
In article <200201081641_MC3-ED23-CA5A@compuserve.com>, Anthony Rhodes
<ARhodes@compuserve.com> writes
>I have to chime-in here.  I have been on the receiving end of a number
>of tickets.
>3 speeding tickets
>1 failure to stop at a stop sign.
>
>In all cases the cop was writing the offense up as he exited his
>vehicle. Never did one try to determine if there
>were any extenuating circumstances.

<massive snip>

My experience (here in UK) is somewhat different.   Until I got the
Spitfire, I never kept to speed limits*, and, when I was still very
young and callow, used to cruise at 125 on motorways.   The *only* time
I ever got a ticket was when I was driving a hire car on company
business.   It was the most powerful car I had ever driven up to that
point (Rover 827Si), and I got her up to 120 on a country road in
Gloucestershire.   I was caught on a radar speed trap as I slowed down
for a corner - 92 mph.   It took the cop twenty miles to catch me, and
he still talked to me about why I had been going so fast for five
minutes before he said he'd have to give me a ticket.   Pretty decent of
him, I thought.

>I prided myself at maintaining _50_ mph over the speed limit in a TR4A
>most of the time.

80 mph in town centres?   You can't have anything like the traffic we
have over here! <g>

*Funnily enough, I get the same thrill and excitement in a twenty-five
year-old Spitfire at 70 as I used to in a new car at 125...

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"