RE: A type vs. J type overdrive

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: A type vs. J type overdrive
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 18:05:01 -0800
Cc: Bob Rochlin <r_rochlin@hotmail.com>
> 1. Are A type overdrives and parts much harder to come by then J types?

Somewhat, although I'd say not a great deal.  There are probably more used
J-types still residing in US junkyards, but it appears that A-types are
still reasonably common in the UK.  (Several UK vendors still sell used
boxes.)  Most service parts are available from the Big 3 in the US (although
I was reduced to ordering operating pistons from VB, as both Moss and TRF
were out of stock).

> 2. Can the non-overdrive transmission remote control tops be drilled and
> tapped for the inhibitor switches for either type of overdrive?

Yes.  But they're an unusual metric thread, likely you'll have to buy the
drill and tap.  And, you should probably tear down the cover first, which is
an interesting exercise in itself.

> 3. Are either type of overdrive tricky to overhaul?

No worse than a transmission.  Get the instructions first, as there are some
things you don't want to disassemble if you don't have to.  In particular
don't remove the planet gears from their carrier, the center bushings from
the main housing, or the bush from the annulus (on an A-type).  There are
also cautions about things like how to insert the accumulator piston (again
on an A-type).

> 4. Is it difficult to fabricate the transmission tunnel covers
> required for an
> overdrive transmission?

To the best of my knowledge, the A-type does not absolutely require any
tunnel mods even in a TR6.  Adding a hole and access plate does make it
easier to change the angle drive, and is a fairly easy project.  I don't
know about the J-type, but I've heard there are mods required to the frame,
rear mount and driveshaft, so there may well be mods to the tunnel, too.

Randall - with A-type spread all over the workbench at the moment.