Re: TR-4 Stromberg Piston

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: TR-4 Stromberg Piston
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:17:13 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>, "\[unknown\]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I'm not sure this is right for a TR-4 with Strombergs.

On mine at least. . .the linkage attaches at the front side of the front carb.
The rear carb is downstream (mechanically) and is connected with a single rod
(and springy connectors) running between the carbs.

I guess checking the diaphragm would be fairly easy . . . The car has sat for a
long time without much use over the years.

A related question:  how interchangeable are the parts?
Can I take a air valve (piston) top cover from different carbs and still expect
them to work together?  (there are probably some issues about centering the jet
or something of the sort)

Scott Tilton
with Lotsa' TR-4 Stromberg Questions coming up

--- "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net> wrote:
> David Massey wrote:
>
> > Message text written by Scott Tilton
> > >I was tinkering with the TR-4 again after a drive around the neighborhood.
> >
> > I noticed that the pistons in the Zenith Stromberg carbs don't raise
> > equally
> > when I open the throttle.
> >
> > A quick check with a Unisyn tool shows equal suction at idle on the front
> > and
> > the back carbs.
> >
> > Any thoughts on what I should check?
> > <
> >

> Oftentimes this is because of the adjustment of the two arms on the center
> carb
> linkage shaft.
>
> Notice that the throttle linkage is connected to the center shaft. Then
> notice
> that its motion is transmitted to the carburetors by two small arms on that
> shaft, that have little nubbins that fit into slots on the carb linkage. It
> is at
> this point that the mis-adjustment often occurs. Move one of the arms so that
> the
> nubbins contact the edge of the carb linkage slot at the same time.
>
> Gosh, that's the best I can describe it, but I'm not sure I would understand
> what
> I said.
>

> --
>
> uncle jack - red, white, and New Blue