RE: TR-4 Stromberg Piston

To: "Scott Tilton" <sdtilton@yahoo.com>, "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, "David Massey" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: TR-4 Stromberg Piston
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@compaq.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:44:46 -0600 qcorp.net>
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[8B0500C0:01C19D2B] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g0EIj1R02472
Scott,

Checking the air valve diaphragm for damage takes about 2 minutes.  Just
remove the 4 screws from the top cover and lift it off.  You'll see the
black diaphragm.  Check it for any cuts or tears.  After inspection,
look for a little tab off to the side of the diaphragm.  That tab must
sit into the corresponding tab on the carb body.  You'll see it...it's
hard to miss.

As far as switching parts around, the air valve piston and damper should
stay with the original carb body.  The other stuff, for the most part
and depending on year, can be swapped around.

Bill
74 TR6
Atlanta

I guess checking the diaphragm would be fairly easy . . . The car has
sat for a
long time without much use over the years.

A related question:  how interchangeable are the parts?
Can I take a air valve (piston) top cover from different carbs and still
expect
them to work together?  (there are probably some issues about centering
the jet
or something of the sort)

Scott Tilton
with Lotsa' TR-4 Stromberg Questions coming up