RE: Running Fuseless

To: "INTERNET:davidt@opentext.com" <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: RE: Running Fuseless
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:44:11 -0500
Cc: "'David Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "'Triumphs@Autox Net \(E-mail\)'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:davidt@opentext.com
>So if I understand you correctly, given that I will have a "fresh" system
everything should work correctly and meltdown is something that should not
occur under normal cicumstances.  With the addition of the inline fuse
under
the dash for the rear lights, I will be adding that much more safety?

Or should I consider more?  Of course there is putting in a fuse block
somewhere would be the ideal.
<

That begs the age old question "how much is enough?"  Yes you can fuse
every branch circuit if you like.  Dan Masters has developed an electrical
panel for TR's that has 5 relays and 8 fuses.  This will make for a very
nice electrical system but the factory was building to a price and could
not afford such luxuries.  But there is no reason the wiring harness should
melt down except in the case where a wire wears off the insulation against
the body or frame and you get a short to ground.  A well secured and
properly routed wire harness should be fine.

Remember that fuses are there to protect the wires, not the load.  The fuse
for the green wire will protect the green circuit wiring in the event that
the wiper motor locks up and pulls too much current.  Or if the heater
motor does likewise.  On the TR's the horn circuit is fused because if the
contacts in the horn get stuck closed the horns will draw quite a bit of
current.

Fusing the wires to the rear lights may be a good idea - especially if the
bulb sockets are a bit old and may start to break apart.  Bulb socket
contacts can get loose and contact ground if that happens.  Note that the
brake lights on the TR6 are run off of the green fuse.  Doubling up on a
fuse like that is a good idea in that if the fuse blows you will notice
that the turn signals no longer work or the heater of the wipers or the
fuel gauge.  If the brake lights had their own fuse you may never know your
brake lights are not working until someone tells you (or tells your back
bumper).

There is no hard fast rule on how to do this.  It is more a balancing act
between a lot of protection and a low price tag.  Triumph's minimalist
decision worked well enough for them for them (please note that most
electical problems are connector related, not due to a lack of fuses).

So decide how much money you want to spend and how comfortable you will be
with what that amount will buy you.

Cheers

Dave