Running Fuseless

To: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Subject: Running Fuseless
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 09:39:36 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <davidt@opentext.com>
Message text written by a Wallace
>David,
I took a look under the hoods of a bunch of the vintage cars rallying
around the world in 80 days, and every one that I looked at had a
modern-style fuse block with the blade-type fuses in it. I take it
therefore that that is a reliable system, and am debating whether to go
this route myself. The "two fuses protected by a wiring harness" system, as

originally installed, doesn't appeal to me much, as I like the idea of
knowing where to start looking when a certain fuse blows.
All the above only applies of course if you are willing to sacrifice
originality.
Regards,
Jim
<

If I were trying to drive around the world in a competition I would
sacrafice originality (to the extent that the rules allow), too.  If blade
type fuses are good enough for Ford, GM and Chrystler, why wouldn't it be
good enough for us?  they are compact, easy to see blown elements (with the
translucent bodies) and readily available.

The other consideration is the cost.  The fuse panel costs a few bucks but
rewiring the car is the major factor.  But that pales in comparison to the
cost of driving around the world.

One of these days I'll rewire one of my cars but I'd be inclined to use
autoreset circuit breakers in certain circuits.  But fuses are cheaper.

If you are not concerned about originality and you are rewiring the car
anyway, go for it.

Cheers

Dave