RE: Running Fuseless

Subject: RE: Running Fuseless
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:21:10 -0800
Cc: "'Triumphs@Autox Net (E-mail)'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Dave Massey wrote :

> > About the only melt-down that can
> > be caused by
> > the regulator would be if the cutout contacts failed to close at which
> > point the battery would feed much current into the generator
> > armature and
> > the brown wire will quickly overheat.

Dave of course meant if the contacts failed to open when the engine stops.
I haven't tried it, but my guess would be that the generator would give up
before any wires would, but even if not it would be the yellow wire to the
generator that failed, since it is a smaller gauge than the brown wires.

David Templeton wrote :

> Or should I consider more?  Of course there is putting in a fuse block
> somewhere would be the ideal.

I've been around LBCs for a long time, and I have to say that electrical
fires are distressingly common.  The fuse to the tail lights is a good first
step, but there is much more that can be done if you aren't worried about
keeping the wiring original.  Geo Hahn reposted one of my earlier posts on
exactly that subject just a few weeks ago, let me know if you want another
copy off-line.

BTW, the headlight wiring is somewhat effectively fused by the headlight
switch, which will fail open just before the wires catch fire.  I got tired
of buying new switches at $30-40/pop, I now have fuses.

Randall