RE: Cylinder head thickness vs. comp ratio

Subject: RE: Cylinder head thickness vs. comp ratio
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:08:25 -0800
Pete :

Depends on your definition of 'linear'.  If you're thinking "well, if I
shave .050" off and that raises the CR by 1.5 points, shaving .100" should
raise it by 3.0 points.", that is _not_ true.  But, if you just mean "If I
shave .050" off that reduces the unswept volume by 5cc, so shaving .100"
will reduce it by 10cc", that's sorta true for a stock TR6 head.  As someone
already posted, it depends on how vertical the combustion chamber walls are
in the area you are removing.  A head like the late TR4 with a very tapered
wall will be very non-linear.

CR is (swept volume + unswept volume) / (unswept volume).  You pretty much
have to estimate or measure the change in unswept volume and work the
equation to know what the change in CR will be.  Swept volume is easy, it's
bore x bore x stroke x .785398.  For results in cc, use inputs in
centimeters, for results in ci, use inputs in inches.

Randall