TR6 Dash Refinishing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Dash Refinishing
From: DarcyHunt@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:16:22 EST
Have started my first winter project which is refinishing the dash on my TR6.
 Dash came out reasonably easy and I strip all the hardware off without
damaging any instrumentation.  Now I need to decide what to do.  I scrapped
off the thick coating which had mostly lifted off anyway, just had to chip at
a few areas and was done in 1 1/2 hours.  Examining the wood, I've got some
discoloration and some splitting with the grain actually raised up around the
split.  Please give me some advice.  I'm inclined to sand it all done a
little more then put a thin veneer on top.  Not sure if I should get the self
adhering veneer or glue it with carpenters glue.  Who has done it and what
works?
Thanks

Darcy Hunter
'73 TR6