RE: Re: the problem (previously about fuel pressure)

To: "Triumphs at AUTOX.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re: the problem (previously about fuel pressure)
From: "Glen Johnson" <glen@littledevil.com.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:17:48 +1100
Last night we checked fuel pressure - and got 2.5psi which after stopping the
pump sat at 2.5psi for about 5-10 seconds and then it slowly dropped down to 1
and then to zero.

I have located another coil, condenser and set of points so I will try
switching those around with the current parts.

The weights and springs etc in the dizzy move easily enough and with a timing
gun connected we saw the advance work nicely with increased revs. Static
timing is currently set at 8 degrees (standard).

We have not yet measured fuel flow / volume or checked float levels.

We took the car out for a run for 20min or so and only once did it falter - on
a hill winding it out in 2nd gear it got to about 4500 then sat there a bit -
then (with foot still firmly planted) it moved around to 5000 and went up and
down rhythmically to and from 5200.

Another Triumph mechanic told me that Valve bounce would be coming into play
on my motor as it still has original stock valve springs etc and the springs
may be quite tired by now.

I am willing to accept valve bounce at anything over the 5k mark but we have
seen issues nearer to 4k so I am going to check out the electrics tonight as
everyone has suggested.

Thanks to everyone for their help.