RE: TR genuine original factory Radio

To: PMSchuess@aol.com
Subject: RE: TR genuine original factory Radio
From: Steven Newell <newellsteven@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:08:47 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
--- PMSchuess@aol.com wrote:
> List, I am the second owner of a TR3 that came with
> the original AM radio with one speaker.  The radio I
> believe is a motorola but it has Triumph Tr-3
> written in white on the dial plate which is backlit
> similar to the stations.  Any thoughts on the value?
>  It is original from the dealer. Thanks, Paul
> Schuessler PMSchuess@aol.com

I assume you're asking in the sense of "what value
should my insurance rider be for the radio?" not "how
much will I get on eBay?" The good news is that, on
the open market, the radio is worth $5... or $300.
First there aren't many TR3 owners, fewer still that
don't have their original radio, fewer still that are
also looking for an original radio. So there's not
much demand, a situation that doesn't usually suggest
huge premiums. But a highly motivated buyer (sold
Enron at $80, restoring Dad's TR3 to concourse) might
pay whatever you ask. But on eBay, you'd need TWO of
those guys to get $300.

In any case, keep the radio. If it's not working, have
it fixed. My "original" radio does a great job now
that my local NPR station switched to AM just so I
could listen to it on the drive to work. If you need a
better radio, install a radio/CD changer in the boot
and hide good speakers under the dash -- that way, the
original radio will distract thieves from the "real"
one. My TR4's DPO (the third owner after the 2nd had
it for 34 years) GAVE AWAY the dealer option wood rim
steering wheel before I bought the car. Still makes me
cranky thinking about it. Anyway, don't be one of
those PO's.

Steven Newell
Denver, CO USA
'62 TR4