TR6 Cooling System

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net> FILETIME=[C75B6E90:01C1A34A] teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g0MDhhb19687
Subject: TR6 Cooling System
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@compaq.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 07:43:30 -0600 qcorp.net>
Hi All,

Since my carbs were on the bench for a rebuild, I decided to take a
close look at the cooling system on my TR6.

I noticed that my temperature gauge barely moved and my heater, at best,
was warm.  The first thing I found was that the DPO had removed the
thermostat, so I installed one and also replaced the temperature
sensor/transmitter.

I then replaced the two water hoses on the manifold and the two hoses
going to the heater.  As I was pulling these hoses, I noticed a lot of
brown crud mixed with the antifreeze and I could see a lot of scaling in
the various pipes.  Obviously, the system needed to be flushed so I
added a Prestone "back flush" kit tee to the upper heater hose.

I have not drained, nor back-flushed the system yet, but my question is
this.....should I use some sort of cleaning flush agent/chemical, and,
if so, what's recommended?

Thanks,

Bill
Atlanta