RE: Bullet Connectors

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Bullet Connectors
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:37:56 -0800
> Well Randall...what differs in your statement from what I said.

Exactly what I said, solder is the electrical component of a soldered
connection.  It matters not if the mechanical connection (used to absorb any
vibration or tension that may develop) makes good electrical contact, the
current can flow through the solder just fine.

Of course, I'm talking about conventional wire-terminal type connections.
Hybrid micro-circuits and even printed circuit boards aren't quite the same
thing.  Solder is frequently used as a combination mechanical and electrical
connection, but only when the component being mechanically attached is small
and it's size (hence the force it can exert on the connections) controlled.
Ball-bond (a form of welding) used to be quite popular too, but I assume
it's no longer used because of cost.

Oh, and I did _not_ say we soldered the wire-wrap connections.  Wire-wrap is
essentially a form of crimped connection, the gas-tight joint exists where
the wire is deformed as it goes around the corner of the pin.

I've seen military work (although I've studiously avoided it), in fact the
same company was primarily a military contractor, clean room, 'dark' labs
and all.  We generally had to re-train technicians from the military side in
how to make a decent joint using commercial grade components ...

Randall