Re: Bullet Connectors

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bullet Connectors
From: <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:19:16 -0500
you must remember...
Solder is NOT designed to be the electrical connection.
It is designed to hold the mechanical connection
in place.

Yes it conducts electricity and you see stuff 'tack soldered'
all the time. But solder has a higher electrical resistance
than the bare wire would,  thereby effectively creating
a resistor in series with your ckt.   Very lower power
is usually OK. but for anything with any current running through
it, the resistance creates a voltage drop and the loss
is exhibited through heat generation.

So... make you own deductions as to which you feel
is the best.

For reference... some of your orig. harness wiring had the
bullets both soldered and crimped while others were only crimped.

And to save yourself headaches down the road, apply a dab
of dielectric grease to every joint you connect. This will help
slow the tarnishing process that causes all the 'Lucas'
headaches as they age.

Paul Tegler     ptegler@gouldfo.com    www.teglerizer.com