RE: Bullet Connectors

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Bullet Connectors
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:10:25 -0800
> Well Randall...what differs in your statement from what I said.

It occurs to me that an example may make my point clearer.  Simply twisting
wires together makes a perfectly adequate mechanical connection, in fact a
'Western Union' splice is just a special way of twisting wires so that the
joint will take the force of being hung between telegraph poles.  But,
twisted wire is completely unacceptable as an electrical connection.  The
addition of solder makes it acceptable.

Solder is much weaker than even copper, too.  Even fairly large diameter
solder can be torn with the fingers, 20ga is almost hard to handle without
breaking it.  There's a far greater difference in mechanical strength than
there is electrical conductivity.  Of course, I'm talking about ordinary
'electrical' solder, typically 63% lead, 37% tin with a dash of antimony or
other exotic ingredients.  Lots of other alloys are called solder, some of
them are quite strong.  Just not quite the thing for attaching bullet
connectors to your TR <g>

Randall