RE: Hayden electric fans (TR3A)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Hayden electric fans (TR3A)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 07:11:51 -0800
Ed, I've run a Hayden on my TR3A for a long time, and I've been quite happy
with it.  Living in So CA, I sometimes drive in the desert heat, and with
the electric fan the engine keeps it's cool better than the passengers do.
It's not a cure-all by any means, but does eliminate any problems with
overheating at idle or in stop-and-go traffic.

It's effectiveness does taper off at speed, by 45 mph it doesn't do any good
at all (which is normal, you shouldn't need a fan over 30 mph).  This means
it really doesn't help with the small grill openings, since they are a
problem at speed (if at all).

If you use the Hayden 'through the radiator' mounts, be sure that they go
through between the vertical tubes, and don't rub on a tube.  I've used
those mounts with no problem, but a better solution might be to have a
radiator shop add some brackets to the radiator frame.  That also means you
can take the fan on & off without replacing the mounts every time.  I would
definitely suggest having the radiator cleaned and inspected while the front
apron is off.

The fan does draw a fair amount of current, depending on how and when you
use it, you may have a problem keeping the battery charged with the original
generator.  I put on an alternator before the fan, but others have reported
'getting by' with the generator.  I would suggest using a relay with the
fan.

Randall Young
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV
et al