Re: Hayden electric fans (TR3A)

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hayden electric fans (TR3A)
From: Geo Hahn <geohahn@theriver.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:09:47 -0700
Popnglo@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with these electric fans installed onto a
> TR3A....

I have used one for many years.  In the summers we get here it is just about a
must if there is a chance of being stuck in slow moving traffic.  I use a toggle
switch rather than a thermostat and manually control it.

Others may not favor this approach, but I have it on the horn circuit.  The hot
side of the fan is wired to the hot side of a horn and the fan switched on
ground
side.  Works fine for me and I have confirmed that I can run the fan and blow
the
horn without blowing a fuse.  I suppose if I ran the fan and held down the horn
the circuit would overload -- so I don't do that much.

I still use a stock generator but then I'm not running the fan for great lengths
of time, just briefly in response to temporary needs.

The fan is an inexpensive one -- about $30 at Checker.  I mounted it with 4
fittings made from 1/4" threaded stock (actually beheaded bolts) bent into an
"L"
and tipped with a bit of fuel line (on the short part of the "L") to protect the
radiator fins.  Picture at:

http://www.geocities.com/tucson_british_car_register/Mvc-737f.jpg

Not a permanent installation but seemed more solid that the plastic ties that
came with the fan.  The tabs on the fan were almost just right to extend past
the
sides of the TR3 rad -- think I had to oval them out a very small amount for the
bolts to clear.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
Tucson