E-bay games

To: jays@paonline.com
Subject: E-bay games
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:28:14 -0600 21, 2001) at 02/12/2002 11:28:15 AM, Serialize complete at 02/12/2002 11:28:15 AM, Itemize by SMTP Server on SMTPMTA2/i2Tech(Release 5.0.7 |March 21, 2001) at 02/12/2002 11:28:16 AM, Serialize by Router on SMTPMTA2/i2Tech(Release 5.0.7 |March 21, 2001) at 02/12/2002 11:28:18 AM, Serialize complete at 02/12/2002 11:28:18 AM
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Jay,

I had a related experience recently....   There was a 69 MGB/GT on ebay
that was "restored".  I have been kind of half heartedly looking for a
restored MGB/GT for a while (since my project MG seems like it may never
get finished!), so I was very interested in this one.  In the ebay ad, the
photos showed a STUNNINGLY restored MGB.  The paint looked so deep and
glossy, it was beautiful.  The ad said the guy had stripped the body shell
to bare metal and done everything correctly.   By coincidence the car was
local to me, so I made an appointment to see it.   What I found was a home
paint job with paint runs in it and even a couple of spots where the paint
was raising up (presumably from rust repairs underneath).  None of this
was visible in the beautiful, concours photos in the ebay ad and the
seller didn't mention these flaws in the ad.  If I had bought that car
sight unseen, I would have been horribly disappointed when I took delivery
of the car.   I did post a notice on the MG list offering to serve as a
surrogate buyer for this particular car just in case any of the folks on
the list might have been "taken in" by the photos and had bid on it. Turns
out that apparently no one on the MG list was bidding but I did watch the
auction to see where it ended ($6500) and I still imagine that some poor
unsuspecting buyer is in for a BIG disappointment. It has also scared me
about buying sight-unseen.  Even the most detailed photos can hide a lot.

Regards, Greg
1976 TR6
1968 MGB/GT