Re: Engine work and passing CA smog

To: steven@newellboys.com
Subject: Re: Engine work and passing CA smog
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:50:17 -0700
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
-snip -

> Granted I did go with a slightly hotter cam and oversized
> liners and pistons. I'm not crazy. ;-) But if you push for more
> power you might find your car isn't as fun to drive -- because
> it idles like crap, gets hot real fast, and won't stay in tune.
> In any case, best of luck.
>
> --
> Steven Newell
> Denver, CO

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your feedback --- great advice.  In the
past I have gotten carried away with engine enhancement
so that it would not idle well, required super octane
to avoid denotation, was a pain to drive in traffic,
ran hot, etc.

I want the TR to be my daily driver, so I am not going
to do anything extreme.  Mostly what I am focusing on
are modifications that make it a "better" engine, not
necessarily a hotter engine.

This machine shop will harden the journals and balance
the crankshaft, both of which should add to engine
longevity and smoothness. I would consider polishing
the crank (for less windage) and a port and polish for
the head. This ought to increase efficiency without
making it temperamental.

The fuel injected engines had 9.5/1 compression, while
the carb ones had 8.5, and starting in 1972 it was
dropped to 7.75.  I am sure this was to lower NOX, but
lower compression makes for lower efficiency as well.
All the replacement piston sets I see are 8.5.

The fuel injected engines put out 150 bhp, while
the USA post '72's dropped to 101 bhp.  That is a loss
of 1/3 of the power.

I could try to raise compression a tad, but then it
might fail "the test."

I do know I need to replace or regrind the camshaft,
and I will need to decide between a totally stock cam
or a slightly hotter cam. This is where I really need
some help.  I probably will go totally stock unless
someone has a different cam profile that has passed the
test. Even the stock cam profiles pre '72 are different
from 72-76 cams.

In Los Angeles, the smog test machines now login
directly to the state, and the tests are recorded as
they occur. They also have "test only" centers where
cars randomly are selected to be tested. I am not
complaining -- I want to breath cleaner air, too, but
the state has raised the bar for smog testing.

The real PITA is that if my car were a '73, it would be
exempt from the smog test -- only '74 or newer cars
have to be tested.

:(

doug