Re: triumphowners.com - SITE LAUNCH

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, info@triumphowners.com, glen@littledevil.com.au
Subject: Re: triumphowners.com - SITE LAUNCH
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:11:26 +0100
On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, at around 08:42:54 local time, Glen Johnson
<glen@littledevil.com.au> wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>For months we have been working on a site for Triumph owners.  The site
>is based around our local club in Tasmania (Australia) but is open to
>anyone with a Triumph.
>
>We would like everyone to go to the site, sign up ( FOR  FREE) and
>upload details and images of their cars.  Please let us know what you
>think of the site.
>
>http://www.triumphowners.com

Dear Glen,

What a fantastic endeavour!   Very best wishes for a great future for
this website.   I have done as you asked, and uploaded details of all my
cars, and have the following comments to make about doing this:

1. The address detail layout is such that those in UK have to put their
country and postcode under "Suburb".   If this is going to be a truly
international site, you are going to have to accept alphanumeric
postcodes (UK, Canada, some others), and add a couple of data fields! UK
addresses, for example, appear in the format: (house name)/street
address/(area)/post-town/(county)/country/postcode, where items in
brackets are optional and/or only occasionally relevant.

2. It is not blindingly obvious that you should add your "Main Image" of
the car under "Car Details" rather than "Photos" - a bit more
explanation here would be great.

3. I uploaded the same images twice, once under "Car Details" and once
under "Photos".   This is doubling the memory requirement on your
server.   Can you not write a bit of code automatically to add "Main
Details" photos to the "Photos" gallery (or vice versa)?

4. All of the photos I have uploaded to your server had already been
uploaded to mine.   Would it not be an idea to have a separate field (in
addition to file location on hard drive) where one could simply input a
URL for the picture?

5. Your algorithm does not pick up a true "model" (i.e. what you
describe as "body type" + "model") from the "Car Details" as a header,
but the type ("model" in your terms) - in other words, a Triumph
Spitfire 1500 appears as "1500" in the "Current Articles" headings and
in the "Site Members' Cars" section, unless you duplicate the word
"Spitfire".   This really needs changing.

Otherwise - perfect!

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671